Monday, May 02, 2005

New Project...

Today I received my first ever BOM (block of the month - for those who don't know what BOM stands for - I didn't). In a mad moment about three weeks ago I decided that there was no time like the present to start something new - after all it was Monday too!!!! There is something about starting new things on a Monday... But I digress, for a very long time I have admired the work that a group of ladies in another internet site I belong to, have been doing. I gathered after a while that they were all doing a Leanne's House BOM quilt. I looked at all the photos and thought how lovely it looked and I read all the discussions on the thread and it seemed as though they were all having a most enjoyable time doing it... I mentally put it on my 'some day list' when the world is perfect and I have all the time in the world to do the things I want to do...

But for some reason best known to itself this particular Monday seemed to be 'it'... I had been browsing
Honeysuckle Cottage . Now I have visited this site heaps of times before and have never been tempted to buy anything - but as I said for some reason this Monday was different and I decided that I would subscribe to the Leanne's BOM. I am a bit of a 'nervous nelly' about buying things on line, but even that didn't faze me - and the rest they say is history...

So as of to-day I am the proud owner of the very first BOM to be faithfully followed by another nine installments... At the end of all of this I shall have one rather large quilt top or ten little bags filled with 'bits' - or something in between these two extremes... The idea is that I make one block a month - hence the name... After viewing all the blocks on line and even the finished quilt I was rather shocked to see how big the first block actually was - but in hindesight - I wonder really what I thought I would see - doll size perhaps?

I think why this quilt appeals to me is its mix of quilting and embrodiery - it is quite a 'pretty' quilt which is quite odd for me as I usually steer away from 'pretties'... Perhaps I am mellowing in my old age... But I am excited about it - so that in itself is promising... I don't know whether I will be diligent enough to make a 'block a month' but at least I will give it a go... I think that I have ordered it right at the right time with the days drawing in as they are - a pleasant way to spend coolish evenings... Well...in my 'romantic eye' I like the idea of it... Its arrival today has 'bucked up' my spirits considerably - after my 'grey' day yesterday...

As I write this I think of the people who possible read this blog and I think about the inspiration that those who I 'know of' have given me... Through reading their/your blogs and viewing their/your work it has helped me in my own way 'start to make a start'... I understand that while this doesn't equal 'real people' - I can hear some of you saying "What am I ? Chopped liver!!!" - but you know what I mean... Just having that constant contact has encouraged me to think more constantly about my own craft... And while by comparison I don't do any where as much as some of you, I do do some... Returning to the sit and stitch group of a Saturday has also contributed to a more constant stitching routine... I am very much the novice in all of this and I sometimes lament that 'I wish I had started sooner' or that 'I had more time to do more'.
However I have a fundamental belief that 'for everything there is a season' - and I guess, whether it lasts for a moment or the rest of my life - to enjoy it for what it is - is the important thing...

A favorite saying of mine is - ' A thousand mile journey starts with a single step'...
Perhaps - 'A ten block BOM quilt starts with a single stitch' ...

Phew!!!! Enough!!!!! I am off to go and look at all my 'pretties'

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

You go, Girl! If it makes you feel better, just do it. I am looking forward to seeing this latest addition to your stash. I have just sold some craft stuff on ebay, and have a few more items to list. Anything that doesn't sell will be going in the Embroidery Guild's Paddy's Market in a couple of months, so if you want to have a clean out of your stash but can't be bothered with ebay, join me on my table! (Also gives you a chance to check out what stash the Guild ladies are disposing of..)