Friday, November 18, 2005

Today...

I feel loads better... The body aches are nearly gone just a few lingering niggles around the shoulders and I have lost that 'foggy' feeling... LOL and I felt like that with no procedure - I can't imagine how I would feel having had one...

I am not sure what the next step is other than to wait for the 'next time round'. I keep getting the feeling that I am 'missing something' with this nasal condition. The best way I can describe it is like when you are trying to think of a word and it eludes you - I just can't seem to 'catch it' if that makes any sense. A friend once said to me when I had a similar problem - "Don't chase it - sit very still in silence and allow it to come to you" And to his credit I have found it works in most cases. Perhaps if I sat still long enough this might work!!!!

I feel restless and I am wanting to do something but not sure what...

Now my comp is playing up... So once again I am on E's - her monitor was returned a week ago so everyone has their original bits - I think my comp is just so old it simply has given up the ghost... It is ok with little things but give it something too large and it just refuses... Even posting photos it carries on lately... E is going to teach me how to use her scanner so I can post from her comp...

Yesterday was not entirely lost as I finished another book... A few weeks ago this woman and her grand daughters came into the store enquiring after an author Robert Corbet - she told me that he was her son and the girls with her were his daughters... Unfortunately we had none of his work on the shelves - but it sparked my interest to borrow two of his books from the library 'The Passenger Seat' and 'Fifteen Love'. Robert writes for young adults (14- 19 age group approx.) I quite enjoyed both of the titles but I would think that the first 'The Passenger Seat' was directed at the older end of the market. This one particularly got me in as it was set in Melbourne. I am now after his third book called 'Shelf Life'... I enjoy children's' literature - I think it is in some cases better than adults - although in saying that it can't really be compared. I think writing for children is a very exacting process - not as some people tend to think - that it is a way of 'practicing' until you write an adult novel. One of the hardest to write are children's picture books - to write a balance of words which then allows an illustrator to complete with pictures - is an art form which very few writers find hard to achieve...
From what I have seen in my short time as a book seller kids are very 'aware' consumers and know with certainty what they like and dislike... These days when parents bring their children in to buy a book I speak directly to the child not to the parent who is telling me what he/she likes while the child vigorously shakes their head... Yes of course one has to be mindful of what their child reads or watches and I agree that sometimes the content can be sensitive... However these kids are living life, going to school, listening/watching the media, accessing the internet, interacting with their mates and so much of what they want to read is not going to shock them. In most cases the book in question has already been discussed in every detail beforehand... I think it can be an injustice to disregard a children's book simply because you, the adult, doesn't like the look of it... We in Australia have very strict guidelines when writing for children which have to be followed to the letter if one hopes to get their manuscript within even a bull's roar of the 'reading pile' at the publishers...
Angus & Robertson have recently introduced a series of recommend reading age pamphlets which can help when choosing a book for a child - while these suggestions aren't 'set in stone' they can certainly be a starting off point for discussion or browsing... Just ask at the counter if they aren't displayed in the children's section... Lol - I sound like an ad... Nah!!!! - I don't like reading or bookshops... Could I be fibbing?????

Well, enough of my ramblings... Take care all and have a great weekend... :-))

1 comment:

Anne S said...

Glad to hear you're feeling brighter today :) I loved our chat the other day ... felt like I'd known you for years! :)) Thanks for the comments on the new blog - it's definitely "me" :)