Thursday, November 17, 2005

The day after...

This morning I am feeling a little sorry for myself... I know it is the 'come down' after yesterday's fiasco... It was unfortunate but I guess everything happens for a reason...
What happened??? The long and short of it without boring everyone silly is that they couldn't get the intubation(breathing) tube down my throat into my lungs... So obviously without that happening - nothing else could...
Apparently they tried three times but then decided that because - 1. My condition was not life threatening and 2. To proceed would have been unwise without specialized equipment and it would be better to reschedule for a later date. As I 'came round' from the the pre-op anesthetic I was told that the procedure had been cancelled... Everyone who was involved came to speak to me and reassure me that this decision had been the 'right call' under the circumstances...
To be told that it happens about once in every 10,000 didn't make me feel any better. So here am just about back to square one... I have felt these last few months 'that I am up against it' - no matter what I attempt - things just seem to go 'pear shaped'. Hmmm... I feel at times I am missing some 'vital clue' regarding my life, but for the love of me I can't figure it out...
Enough of my woes - it is promising to be a lovely day here in Melbourne so I shall make the most of it... P has excelled himself with our little garden bed and it is looking lovely... He has also mulched it and put in a manual watering system. It is nice to see the bees enjoying our flower patch... Considering it had been a weedy, dry piece of dirt it has come a long way... The promise of things to come... There is a lot more to be done but this piece of garden gives me such joy and peace...
Because I thought I was going to be fairly housebound for a few days I added another three books to my stash (any excuse, you say) - LOL you are probably right there...
Eragon by Christpher Paolini
I fell in love with this book on first sight. it... I have had it on my 'to read' list for ages - but I have never got around to reading it - sort of wanting to 'keep it for best'. My op was going to be a good chance to 'indulge'... Now that I have Eragon - Eldest - the sequel - is on my Christmas wish list.
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Another title that took my fancy but again like Eragon haven't got around to reading it... E and I went to our favorite second hand bookshop and there it was - much cheaper than even I could get it with my staff discount... And because it was in brand new condition I snapped it up... Well, actually E snapped it up for me as my 'going to hospital present'...
I have a love/hate relationship with this guy... Rarely watch him on the telly but I have heard some good things about this book... I thought it was worth a look - I am usually not a follower of diet 'how to do it' books but on just the initial browse at it sparked my interest... We will see...
Well, that is about all - I am still feeling a little tender after yesterday as I think they must have rolled me around trying to get the tube positioned... I am aching all over so perhaps a bath may be in order... Steep my body in it for a while and lets the aches and worries float away...
Cheers all and thank you to those who left me messages they were much appreciated... And annes your phone call was 'just what the dr ordered' - it cheered me up no end...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,

I can relate to the love/hate thing with Dr Phil. I loved him for his realness but there's something about him lately that's been getting on my nerves

Could be the goss I've been reading about him getting up himself. Not fair of me to believe tabloids but there you go.

Cheers

Amra

Unknown said...

I empathise with the failed anaesthetic. This happened to my husband some years ago. He was left with only a sore throat. This was twenty years ago in Mount Isa in far north-west Qld so I sort of blamed the inadequacy of local practitioners in a remote area (rightly or wrongly). To happen in Melbourne in the 21st century - well I have higher expectations. Re Dr Phil - I'm ambivalent to. Though my daughter is a great fan. I remember seeing an episode once where I thought he showed a lack of insight into the female point of view and that turned me off. As well, I don't enjoy a lot of airing of personal stuff on telly. It's like spying on your neighbours through a keyhole and I don't like that. My daughter says that they come on Dr Phil for psychological advice that they can't afford any other way in the USA.

Sharon said...

Unfortunately these things happen re: surgery... I was disappointed but I believe they did the best the could... I think I am more despondant that it will be now the 2006...

Dr Phil's book reads as he speaks... You can hear that voice as you read... So far quite interesting and I have read a couple of things that have 'clicked' with me...

Or perhaps it was a combination of the failed surgery... I realise that I want to invest some insurance with the future... I cannot continue to live with this chronic sinus/breathing/asthma all the time... There is obviously an underlying cause... And I know when I don't eat certain foods I feel much better... So I am more than certain that there is a food connection...But at the moment it is a bit like what comes first, the chicken or the egg...