Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Horses, books and no stitching...

Well, all the speculation about all things important - horses, jockeys, racing, fashions, and the weather are now just on a day behind us... Yes, as a nation we all did stop for that important race and this year we saw history in the making... Please don't get me wrong - one, I am not a racing fan - I think it is to do with my fear of horses. And two, I really don't care about all the above mentioned... But yesterday is was difficult to ignore all the excitement about 'that horse'... We watched the race on the telly so I can't begin to even imagine what it would have been like track side - but it looked like a monumental event... I am glad to hear though she is 'being retired' - a well deserved rest for a beautiful lady - 'Makybe Diva'

Now to the really important stuff... My stitching came to a halt with the heat yesterday... A very, very hot day here in Melbourne - but I did get to read more of my book which I have slowly been making progress with... 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' by Susanna Clarke is quite a different book - but one that once I got into I couldn't not finish... There is something that has drawn me into the plot and I perhaps could suggest it has the makings for one of those obscure novels that has a following in its own right... Its pages tally at nearly 800 so apart from its sheer size both literally and laterally it is a big book. Its plot and cast of characters are also huge. The writing style is at times difficult going - I am not sure whether it is the precision or the slow ambling pace it takes... But what ever it is I feel like I have had some magic cast over me and I won't be done with it until I have turned the last page.What is it about? It is a book about magic - but definitely not Harry Potter style... Rather about the re-introduction of 'respectable' magic into Britain in the nineteeth century... It has been described as 'compelling' and I would agree with that. It was also suggested that there isn't anything else like that and I would (even with my limited reading) agree with that as well... What made me read it? There was just something about it that intrigued me from the moment I heard about it... Would I buy it? Probably, this is one of those books I would like to have on my shelf - but the hardcover version - not the soft cover... It would be something I would put on my re read list - only because like a 'huge' movie I am sure that on the 're-run' it would yield more which I may have missed from its first reading... It was also a nominee for the Booker Prize this year... I am starting to compile a list of books I want to read - a bit like my stitching I will have to live a thousand life times to get it all read- because of course I am always adding to it :-)).
Another book which has 'tweaked' my interest again and is on the 're read soon' list is 'The Artist's Way' - Julia Cameron... An oldie but a goodie... I remember when I first read it some years ago how much it excited me. Interestingly enough I 'stumbled' over a group of quilters who are reading it... Hmmm... A 'when the student is ready the teacher appears' moment me thinks...
Ok, enough of my ramblings for today... Enjoy All...

No comments: