Friday, November 11, 2005

C's sampler...


Here is the picture that I promised you. This is the design which I am stitching for my friend C. Remember I said that I had decided to stitch it on 18 ct pale pink aida instead of the 22 ct black linen which the model is stitched on. The photo doesn't really do the design justice as there is some wonderful curly backstitching at the bottom and again at the top where there looks to be empty spaces...

This is what I have stitched so far. Compare it to the top photo and you will see what I have done. Again, that pink blob in the middle is the vertical stroke of the 'L'. So far it has been an easy and enjoyable stitch and very much a 'palette cleanser' while I have been battling with M's mermaid. Hopefully I will get some more done when I am at home after my little hospital bout next week. I was concerned that some of the stitching would 'fade' into the pale pink aida but after seeing the photo model and comparing it to the actual pattern I think that the 'fade' ratio will be much the same. I had wanted a softer look for the design and I think the colour change will offer that - it has been interesting to 'stitch blind' so to speak as when I started I didn't have the colour photo as a comparison so I just had to go with the black and white chart which I had had for some time. I was glad to find the book again at the library and now I have some idea where I am going with it. LOL - I wasn't even sure what the book looked like so I was pleased to find it on the shelf.

The design comes from 'A to Z' cross-stitch SAMPLERS - The Vanessa-Ann Collection... The book was published in 1989 and is American. It has some good designs obviously alphabet inspired. Another book I am trying to track down to add to my collection...

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

The design is gorgeous and I am sure your friend will feel honoured that you chose to stitch it for her :)

Good luck with the op - I hope the results are spectacular and long lived XXX

Sharon said...

Thanks J for your well wishes... I will be just glad when it is all over...
Yes the design is lovely and I have enjoyed stitching what I have of it...The person who it is destine for has been in my life for a long time and we have shared alot of life's up's and down's...

While I like cross stitching I am looking for something a bit more adventurous... But in saying that I am not sure what that 'adventurous' bit exactly is though... I would also like to start my Leanne's House BOM quilt next year. I have so many ideas but lack the time and energy at the moment to implement them...
I wish you lived closer and we could get together over a cuppa and stitching... Perhaps we could do some sort of exchange next year... Nothing too complex - think about it and let me know...

Jacqui said...

Sharon, that would be lovely - I will look forward to it :) Meanwhile, Christmas looms large and I am rushing around in ever decreasing circles and getting nowhere fast ROFL I have an image of a puppy chasing it's tail - that's me right now! So I will file a future exchange in the 'when-life-is-not-so-mad' file for now and take the idea out occasionally to look at it and put it back. If you think of anything you would like to do in the meantime do say what it is. As we both have birthdays in September (that's right isn't it?) maybe we could do something for then.

Sharon said...

Christmas does that to people J... We already have Christmas 'stuff' happening over here and some of the stores have carols playing - way too early as far as I am concerned... I have always said that one day the Easter Bunny and Father Christmas will arrive together and toss a coin to who will stay!!!!

You are a clever one for thinking of our birthdays - 16th Sept - right? A date for my diary... I look for to it... I agree - let's leave the finer details to after the New Year...