Friday, August 26, 2005

I have had...

... a most productive day today... Firstly I have finally found my jeans for the bags of fun challenge. They cost me $5.00 in the most wonderful op-shop. G and L if you read this -definetely one to remember... It is a Lion's Club op-shop on the corner of Canturbury road right next door to the Forest Hill Chase complex, just a few doors up from the big Asian restaurant... It is like an op shop should be - crazy - no polite shelving or santitized folded in this one - a real treasure hunter's paradise... I could have spent more than the hour I did - there was fabric off cuts, craft bits and pieces, some embroidered linen - no chicken scratch aprons - I looked!!!! All manner of things - the woman who seems to be the manager said just to ask her for something and she would find it - this person knows her stock and where to lay her hands on it. One lady was looking through the men's ties - she is going to make a skirt from them... I get the feeling a 'select' number of people have a 'closely guarded secret' in this op -shop... So girls - go look there is possibly all manner of things just waitng to be found here... Reasonable prices - I paid $5.00 for a great white - mostly cotton - shirt...

Anyway I digress - I found the perfect jeans for my bag - I doubt that anyone ever wore them as they have the smallest waist... They are a deep denim blue - perfect colour. Because I wanted something small - without it being kids size - the area from waist to crotch is deep, but with such a narrow waist will be perfect for my bag... I am now excited about starting. The little miss with the balloon in the image who looks like she is walking on the grass was another find - along with four of her 'cloned' friends - in another great shop called 'Zart Art' just up the road from me... They are largely an art supply shop - they sell prism colour coloured pencils - my favorites!!!! - but have some scrap booking bits and pieces down the back. She looked so happy that I immediately knew she and her mates were destine for my fun bag... I am not sure how I will attach them at this stage but I am not going to let a small point like that deter me... LOL the more I think about this bag I am starting to quickly move away from 'serious' to 'lets have fun here'. I want it to be that if I sit on the bus with it people will look at it and wonder what is on the other side of it. I want it to be bright, colourful and cheery - a happy bag...

I also have made some progression on my butterfly, I played with its body as I wasn't happy with it and now I am really liking what I did with it... It also has one feeler - perhaps tonight I will get more done. Will update piccy when I have a little more to show... Using my new book -The Embroiderer's Handbook - I am so glad I bought it has helped me pick up my butterfly and 'play' with some ideas. It had been relegated to the 'too hard' basket as I previously mentioned - but something made me re look and re think about it. Mind you I am not really sure what I will do with once I have finshed it...

My work situation still hangs in the balance - but I have been offered some hours doing a 'set up' for them. Basically setting up a centre court sale table area at another shopping centre... Still if it offers me continued employment then I am happy to do it. The thought of starting all over again looking for another job stresses me out. Hopefully it won't come to that. Fingers crossed!!!!

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

I think I may have been in that shop, Sharlee - I was up past Forest Chase recently, and vaguely remember discovering an opshop in the area. Is this one in The Book? I haven't looked it up because I am typing this right after reading your post. Was the linen in the shop My Kind Of Linen? Ring me NOW if it was - I will go there tomorrow! Well, maybe next week. I had opshop fun today too - check out Patra's Place...