Saturday, April 30, 2005

Stitching Group again...

I went to my stitching group again today - this time I took G - Patra's Place. We had a delightful three hours stitching, chatting and having lots of giggles. Anyone looking through the doorway from a distance would see a group of 'older' women stitching - I think they would be quite shocked to hear the content of some of the conversation. It was a nice break from the week and after hearing about my employment coming to an abrupt end next Friday - a welcome diverson from the stress of thinking about 'what next'...

I can now post the photo of G's birthday present. G gave me a copy of Allura - an Australian cross stitch book- the year before last. She had asked me at the time whether I would stitch anything from it. I wanted to stitch something for her and I decided on the alphabet 'G' which has a goanna climbing up the side. It is too, the first letter of her name. I enjoyed stitching it with the anticipation of seeing G's face when she unwrapped it. The colour change from Anchor to DMC resulted in a slightly different colour of goanna - from browns to greens - but what the heck. I thought the placement of him on the G was good and I like how his tail 'travelled' down the letter and curled around into the space below. I hope you enjoy him G - what ever you do with him... Only teasing!!!!

Mel's mermaid had a little more done to it today. Not a huge amount but those extra few stitches all make a difference towards the end... I said, somewhat tongue in cheek, 'I wonder what I will do next?' expecting to raise a response from G - but not the whole room as different ladies replied. Very obviously we all have very 'well fed' bottom drawers full of 'what next' projects. On the re-telling to P, he suggested perhaps the drawers are like Pandora's Box - they all contain hope - 'Hope I can get to do this, hope I can get to do that'. Very droll - coming from someone who has more music than he can possibly ever listen to in this life.

One lady bought a 'show and tell' - a quilt she had finished for her daughter - all hand stitched. Makes me keen all over again!!!! Another two ladies looked like they also did 'scrap booking', as one brought in a photo album to show another. No wonder these women are never home - they are too busy out enjoying their 'other interests'.

Haven't done much more knitting. It has gone to work with me a couple of times - it is far more portable than my stitching. A couple of the women have commented on it - and surprisingly enough a couple of the much younger women liked the colour and the texture as it has knitted up - even though I fondly refer it it as 'my carpet'. Beads are very much a possibility either through the middle of it or in the fringe at either end. The mind boggles...

1 comment:

Linda said...

Oh Dear - that is unfortunate news about your employment - but it does mean you might be available for a coffee midweek soon. Although that is small compensation. :(

And, had you thought of calling that bottom drawer a "Hope Chest"? *grin*