Monday, January 30, 2006

'6x4 lives', computer woes & 'The Book Thief'...

I am in the process of creating gum leaves for the '6x4 lives' - Very simple - but probably also very boring - but I do like gums leaves. I am afraid the Virgo in me like 'clean' lines but I am hoping with the '6x4 lives' to see 'a journey' through what I create over the next few months. Perhaps a folio of sorts and with a bit of luck it might help me 'extend my horizons' and 'loosen up'...

Which brings me to the point of why there are no pictures of my gum leaves being created 'blow by blow', so to speak. E's comp has died yet again and with it my scanner which she has 'borrowed'. I am on my old 'T Model Ford' computer and just the thought of having to re-hash the scanner with my comp again leaves me cold. I am not offay enough with P's camera so I will just have to wait to record my progress As I said I am a simple gal - not really that arty - so don't expect too much... But I am determined to participate in this group even if I am a bit of a 'slow coach'...


I am reading a wonderful book called 'The Book Thief' - Markus Zusak. I have been wanting to read it for ages - it has been the kind of book which has 'echoed' through my psyche. The theme of the book has been written about many times before - but not in this way. I have 'lived through' the characters as they have had to deal with their lives in turbulent and heartbreaking times. Even though I have not read any more since last night the 'energy' of the book pervades my senses and in some ways has 'ground me to a halt'. I think I need to re immerse myself in its pages and finish it as I don't think that I will accomplish much more until I do. As I was gathering my bits together for my gum leaf project the characters were 'reaching out' and I kept 'stumbling' over pieces of the passages I had read last night. As I write this I am wondering if it is this I should be exploring as very obviously the story has had some effect on me. But because the subject matter is so vast and overwhelming, where would I start. What would I start with???

1 comment:

Linda said...

Have you everlooked at Annemieke Mein's gumleaves???? A subject we should discuss some time - long story.