Tuesday, December 06, 2005

In the Beginning...

Before Feb of this year I knew very little about blogging. A girl at work had talked about on-line journalling - but because my comp skills were limited to say the least, it was all abit 'IT' for me...

However Fate it seems was to play a hand and in my widening quest looking on the Net for quilting and Crazy quilting sites it led me to
sharonb - who of course as we all know has a blog. And like curiosity leading the cat down the well - so did clicking on side bars do for me - which of course led me to other blogs...

Damn this was all TOO interesting... " Look, look, look," I would say pointing to the monitor, "here's another one." I felt like I had found a 'hidden kingdom- my bemused family looked fondly on thinking "here she goes again - another fad"

This blog travelling not only whetted my appetite for crazy quilting, but to learn more about blogging... Up until just before that I had 'shared' comps so I had no real chance to 'play on my own' for any amount of unrestricted time unless I wanted to get up in the twee smalls - which I have been known too!!!!

Now about this time my daughter got a new, faster, all singing, lights, bells and whistles comp and I was bequeathed her old 'T model Ford' - well for me it was heaven and freedom all rolled into one... I could go and turn on the 'beastie' and roam the world visiting all the wonderful sites at will... But I digress - as I am known to do...

I decided to start a blog, 'just to see if I could' mind you - nothing too fancy -just somewhere to record this idea of 'a creative journey'... The Blank Page was born and for a while I was happy - then I saw that others did ' all manner of other things' to their blogs and so, like Oliver, I wanted more... P, my ever suffering mate who had by this time started his own blog began to teach me basic HTML...

LOL and I thought my creative journey was going to be about fabric... I would say to P that such and such a blog had this, that and something else - how could I do that BUT with a difference... P would look then go away and play on his comp then come back again with the answers and guide me through the steps to accomplish it. Some interesting moments were to be had I might add...

I am also a nit picky Virgo with very definite ideas how I want something to look - the banner heading took a lot of P's patience as I kept saying "yes, sort of like that - BUT..." He would just take a deep breath in and go back to the template...

While I still have a basic blog and ironically, it is P who has gone on to greater things, I have learnt heaps. Yesterday was probably my biggest nemesis as I wanted to change the link to the comments - other people had these nifty little sayings and I wanted that too... Well after much fiddling and nearly a major disaster I accomplished it all on my own plus taught myself to post a picture in my profile - not a big deal for those who can do it without as much as a second glance - but for me, an Everest climb... I think it was more the near disaster that taught me the most - normally I would fling my arms up in frustration and mutter deep dark oaths - but yesterday I persisted with patience and perserverence - and deep dark oaths...


It is amazing how one learns so much about themselves in the most lateral ways... At the beginning of the year I knew nothing about blogging or HTML - today not only do I know more - but in way, better than that - I know that I can... "One small step for" - well, you know how the rest goes...

So... look out 2006 - I am ready for you... LOL- sharonb if you get to read this - my hand is up for your classes too!!!!!

3 comments:

Calidore said...

Like you, I checked out others blogs before taking the plunge myself. I looked at Sharon B's site and was impressed but it was Linda over at Chloes Garden that really got me inspired. Aren't we lucky they are around...lol. I'm impressed that you are working out the html. I still get very lost - and am known to mutter lots of deep dark curses - but one day I might actually change my blog's appearance - now that is scary stuff. The web is a wonderful place - may we keep enjoying it for many years to come. Keep up the wonderful work - I enjoy reading your blog so much.
Blogging Hugs
Calidore : - )

Sharon said...

Thanks Calidore - but don't be too impressed - sometimes it is more good luck than good mangement... P - my mate - is the saving grace at times... Me - I think up the ideas and then ask him how to implement them... Although in saying that sometimes a light flashes in the darkness and I know what it means.. Very much like learning another language I think... And again thank you I enjoy reading your blog too - that smell of fresh country air does it everytime... S :-))

Anne S said...

Oh Sharon, your writing always captivates me on your blog - it's such a pleasure to read! As for blogging, I got super excited when I managed to work out putting photos and progress bars in the sidebars ... I was beside myself for days! ;) I was getting so fed up with the designer from Design-a-Blog, though, I was tempted to get a 'HTML for dummies' book and do it myself ... but persistence won out in the end, and I love my new home ... still tinker every now and then with the sidebars though ;)